[ubuntu-uk] help please

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 22:42:26 BST 2009

JONATHAN TAYLOR wrote:
> Hi all,
> as a newbie I'm in the process of switching over to Ubuntu, and as I
> run a small business I use MS Visio for my site plans . My question is
> what is the equivalent in Ubuntu? Also I've  just bought a Wacom
> Bamboo pad, and I've seen lots of posts on here on using it, so any
> help with installing the bamboo or using it would be really appreciated.
> Thanks all.
> Jon

Hi Jon,

Not sure if this will help at all... http://www.osalt.com/visio

I've not really used Visio that much, but I believe Dia which is
mentioned on the link above may offer some of the same sort of features.

It may also be possible to run Visio on Ubuntu using either Crossover
Office [1] or Wine [2] although compatibility may vary depending on
which version you're running.  CrossOver Office is a commercial app
although it's fairly cheap (IIRC about £20 to £30) and it does have a
free 30 day trial available so you can test compatibility and Wine is
free anyway.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck, we're a generally friendly bunch
here so if you get stuck I'm sure you'll get one or maybe 20 replies
within a few minutes :-)

Rob

[1] This is the compatibility list for Visio on CrossOver Office:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search?name=visio&search=app
[2] This is the compatibility list for Visio on Wine:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=119