[ubuntu-uk] I shall have to replace my 'Linux Certified' laptop

Rowan rowan.berkeley at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 30 07:17:47 BST 2009

Rob Beard wrote: >Rowan wrote:

> > The gents at Laptop Repairs tell me: "It's a chipset problem that we
> > just can't fix."
> > I shall have to send it back to California if I want it replaced...
> > could take a while...>
>
>Oh dear, well at least it sounds like you can get it replaced.

> > I fancy one of these Thinkpads:
> > http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/#pidR26881
> > N500-1, N500-2, N500-3, or N500-5, all between 450 and 550 pounds incl.
> > VAT & p&p. Is it worth paying the higher price for a T6400 Core 2 Duo
> > 2.0 GHz Processor, as opposed to a T3400 Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz Processor,
> > or a T4200 Dual Core 2.0 GHz Processor?>
>
>I'd say for a general machine for web browsing, e-mail, office documents etc then you'd probably be fine with either of the Pentium Dual Core CPUs.  I'd say rather than going for the Core 2 Duo T6400 you might want to save a bit, get a T4200 instead (or the T3200) and then put the savings to a bit more memory, bigger hard drive or maybe another battery. Ta, Rob

Well, the cheapest, 'entry level' one sounds fine then. It seems to me that the only thing the 'Linux Certified' machine had over all these Thinkpads is superior screen resolution: 1680x1050, as opposed to 1280x800 on the Thinkpads. Both are the widescreen aspect ratio of 8:5, as opposed to the narrowscreen 4:3. I don't know if I even want to send the 'Linux Certified' machine back. You recall, these are the people who supply them with non-standard interface drivers which means a non-upgradable version of Ubuntu (unless one wants to keep tinkering). The chipset failure may be precisely an interface driver in the Compal hardware 'Linux Certified' uses, which just doesn't like the standard Ubuntu interface drivers -- in which case 'Linux Certified' are knowingly selling a machine unfit for Ubuntu!