[ubuntu-uk] Videos on BBC News Website

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Sat Jun 27 23:34:45 BST 2009

I have never seen apt-cache policy before, that is a cool tool!

Anyway, here is the result of mine for flash:
$ apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree
flashplugin-nonfree:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 10.0.22.87ubuntu2
  Version table:
     10.0.22.87ubuntu2 0
        500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/multiverse Packages

Despite it saying that none is installed, I can still play any flash
content in Swiftfox (which I use instead of Firefox).

The live BBC News feed worked perfectly.

So you may have an earlier version of Flash. I previously had a version
that worked on some sites but not all, even though it was version
10.something, but it was a 64-bit version. Now I have a version which is
10.0.22.87, not sure if 32- or 64-bit. Maybe if you are using the 64-bit
Ubuntu the Flash version you have is not working properly? I had the
problem in Ubuntu 8.04, but no problem after I did a new install using
9.04 and copied my files/settings over from 8.04.

David King