[ubuntu-uk] first edition

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Fri Jun 26 20:35:31 BST 2009

Just for fun I downloaded 4.10 and installed it into VirtualBox. It was
interesting to see what has changed and what has not changed since the
first release. Certainly the colour scheme has improved a lot. Some of
the software was the same. I think I prefer the later versions,
especially 9.04 which I am using now. I remember installing Red Hat back
in about 1999 and that looked great during install, lots of screens of
info during installation, and it allowed me to select what packages I
wanted to install. But Ubuntu just installs everything without any
choice, and I was surprised at the plain text installer in 4.10.

The best thing about it, though, was that during installation it
actually asked me what screen resolution I wanted. When I install later
versions in VirtualBox there is no option, and it defaults to a max size
of 800 x 600, until I install the Guest Additions. In 4.10 it defaults
to 1024 x 768, although Guest Additions will not install due to the
kernel being too old.

Worth looking at, I might even look at other old versions of Ubuntu. But
I can be more productive with 9.04 than I ever could have been with 4.10

David King