[ubuntu-uk] An Ubuntu version that looks like Windows

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Jun 17 23:36:02 BST 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:21 PM, James Milligan <lake54 at lake54.com> wrote:

> Yeah I'd go with that too. Although I'm not a betting man (kid)

Their whole website is actually very destructive; the implication being that
Linux is not accessible to Windows users which is simply not true.

I think it's actually rather patronising to suggest that Windows users are
incapable of embracing minor differences in an operating system - Apple
doesn't try to do it, they're quite happy to try to lure Windows users away
from Microsoft with something that is so different from everything else that
even I (as an IT person of many years) finds it completely unintuitive.  But
it seems that folks who "go to Mac" seldom go back, so clearly differences
in interface aren't as important to people as clearly these Israeli folks
think they are.

I believe it's important to promote the packages that are there on their
merits, not market them as "cheap versions of your favourite Windows
applications".

Openoffice has many advantages over Microsoft Office.

GIMP is an excellent graphics tool.

Evolution and Thunderbird are both great e-mail clients.

Surely when people say "a free office suite that does pretty much everything
that Microsoft Office does" isn't that deriding the product you're trying to
"sell"?  Or describe Evolution as a product that does pretty much what
Outlook does?

They're not promoting Linux -- they're promoting Microsoft, by suggesting in
every word they write that what people should aspire to is Microsoft's
products, and this is just a way to save some money.

Talk about deriding your product.

Apple don't do that.  They don't say their applications are compatible with
Microsoft, because they realise that things don't have to be.

That's "so 1990s" ;-)

Sean