[ubuntu-uk] My dead 'Linux Certified' machine

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Tue Jun 16 16:46:16 BST 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> It's certainly worth a try getting in touch with them.  As far as I know
> Linux is a trademark of the Linux Foundation and I would assume they
> don't like the trademark being brought into disrepute.

It wouldn't be difficult, would it, for these folks to go to the LUGs and
say "we need a service centre in the UK who we can trust" and get one.

To expect people to pay to send back a machine that is under warranty is
beneath contempt.  To further then expect them to pay for the repairs is
just out of this world.

We live in a global society.  Warranties should be global too, and I think
we should ask the Linux Foundation their views on this particular company as
they are using the trademark so prominently in their branding.

People who are not au fait with Linux and the Open movement could easily
believe that the LinuxCertified people are actually affiliated directly to
the Linux Foundation and the whole brand, whereas as far as I can see they
are simply another company who supplies laptops etc... is this accurate?

Sean