[ubuntu-uk] Can I run my OSX partition in VirtualBox (or something like it)?

Tony Travis a.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Tue Jun 16 15:40:11 BST 2009

doug livesey wrote:
> Hi -- I run Ubuntu dual-boot with OSX on a Mac, and I love it, and hate
> having to duck out to use OSX for things like iTunes, etc.
> So would it be possible for me to run the OSX partition from inside
> VirtualBox, or something like that?
> I've had a bit of a google, and not come up with much, so I thought I'd
> ask the assembled Ubuntu gurus.

Hello, Doug.

No, you have to create a virtual filesystem for the gust OS. Some people
have created a virtual filesystem for running a pre-installed Windows XP
under Virtualbox, using the copy of Windows already installed on their
hard disk, but you can't actually use the hard disk - You have to copy
it to a virtual disk on the host OS that is accessible to the guest OS.

Virtual box is pretty good BTW, and I recommend giving it a try!

I use it to run M$ Word, so I can edit the M$ formatted documents
EXACTLY the way our admin want them :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

Bye,

   Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Rowett Institute of Nutrition
and Health, Greenburn Road, Bucksburn, Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK