[ubuntu-uk] Installing Safari on Ubuntu

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 09:23:16 BST 2009

John wrote:
> Mmmm, I rebooted the machine, then clicked on the Safari Icon again, and
> this time got an error message saying basically, it isnt a windows
> error, its more likely a wine error, causing it. It says it could be a
> deficiency in wine., It does give this url http://appdb.winehq.org. I
> have looked there but it is all double dutch to me, I dont understand
> what it needs.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> John

Which version of Safari is it?

You may find that it simply isn't very well supported in Safari.
Unfortanately as great as Wine is, it's not a universal Windows
replacement (yet).  Application support seems to get better with every
release but due to the amount of Windows applications out there you may
find that it may take a while to get supported.

Anyway, if it's just the looks you're interested in then this may be a
good alternative... https://foxdie.us/

It's a set of Safari looking themes for Firefox.  It does include a font
which may need installing but it's certainly worth trying.

Other than that this guide will give instructions on how to add Safari
like functionality to
Firefox (note: the first plugin iSafari theme is no longer available so
you'd have to use the above theme)...

http://www.dailyseoblog.com/2007/06/convert-firefox-to-safari-in-3-steps/

Hope this helps.

Rob