[ubuntu-uk] Installing Safari on Ubuntu

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:05:03 BST 2009

On 15/06/09 18:51, Sean Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM, Harry Rickards<hrickards at l33tmyst.com>  wrote:
>> Alternatively, if you really want Safari you could run a copy of Windows
>> in VirtualBox, which will let you run any Windows apps you want.
>
> This is true, but it's a bit "over the top" just to run a browser ;-)
>
> Are Apple committed to Safari?  Most Mac users that I know now use
> Firefox as their default - it isn't a browser that I worry too much
> about anymore when designing websites, just assume that a test on
> Chrome will do, its market share is so small.
>
> Sean

Agreed. Safari has less share of the browsers I see (on the sites work
on) than Opera and that is only around 2% on avg. IE6,7 & Firefox take
the lion's share of visits, with Google Chrome and IE8 coming behind
them. Opera and the Safari follow but are fairly insignificant.

It would be interesting to see how many webkit vs Gecko browsers there
are. Haven't crunched the numbers though.

Safari is (I think) a webkit based browser. There are several others
using the same rendering engine.

HTH

Al