[ubuntu-uk] Home partitions do I need one?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 12:44:25 BST 2009

Graham Smith wrote:
> Rob
>

>> In theory unless something goes completely wrong you should be able to
>> upgrade online as each new release is made available but I'd say a
>> separate home partition is a good thing.
>>

> Yes, I like the principle
>
>  > Having a separate home partition also means
>
>> that you could format your root partition as ext4 for extra performance
>> and keep your home partition as ext3 if you wished.
>>

> Or even NTFS I assume to make it easy for a dual boot Windows

Well I wouldn't personally format my home partition to NTFS.  I can
however access my Windows partition with the NTFS3g driver which is
handy for those occasions when I need to access something off it (I
rarely use Vista on my laptop, I don't think I've used it in 2 months or
so).

What I would love (not sure if something is available) is a addon for
Firefox so I can save my bookmarks to a central server (ideally my own
personal server) and have it shared between my many PCs, at the moment I
must have about 5 or 6 different sets of bookmarks.  Being able to
access them from anywhere (like I can with my mail) would be handy.
>> I generally allocate about 20 to 40GB for root depending on the size of
>> the drive.  On my desktop I used to use 40GB (it was a 750GB drive) and
>> on my laptop with a 250GB drive I tend to allocate 20GB for root (mainly
>> because I also have Vista installed on it which I give about 60GB) but
>> really I think 15GB would probably be plenty.
>>

> Thanks, useful to know.

No problem, you can always resize the partitions using something like
gparted if need be if you find you don't use as much space, or need more
space.
>> As far as the swap partition goes (you'd have to create this manually
>> too if you do a manual partitioning), if you want to use Hibernate then
>> you'd need to allocate a partition at least (if not slightly larger to
>> be safe) to match the size of your system memory.  So for instance if
>> you have 2GB on your PC, allocate at least 2GB swap (or maybe something
>> like 2.2GB).  I found when I got to 4GB though that it was easier just
>> to shut the machine down and boot it up as it was quicker than
>> hibernate.  Now on my laptop with 4GB memory I have about a 600MB swap
>> partition.
>>

> Thanks again, these sorts of decsions are always difficult to meake
> without some experience.

Yep, I was thinking along the lines of my laptop has limited space and I
can't really afford a bigger hard drive at the moment for it so I
decided to go for a smaller swap and not use hibernate (which I have
found is a bit hit and miss anyway for me anyway, I generally use
suspend mode when I'm not using the laptop for short periods of time).

Rob