[ubuntu-uk] Thunderbird log?

andrew seyes andrew.seyes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 09:24:16 BST 2009

2009/6/13 mac <ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk>:

> andrew seyes wrote:
>> You can activate logging by setting some environment variables before
>> you start thunderbird, including one where you choose the name of the
>> log file. For this to work you'll have to do it from a terminal
>> (Accessories -> Terminal).
>>
>> For full details, see https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging
>

> Andrew >>> Thanks for this.  It looks as though it's about Thunderbird
> logging how it's processing mail via the standard protocols (you select
> the ones you want to monitor).
>
> My problem is that Thunderbird itself is becoming unresponsive from time
> to time (the dreaded darkened window!), and I'm having to do a 'Force
> quit' and restart.  I can't see anything in the system logs;  and I
> wondered if there's a log that monitoring Thunderbird itself, rather
> than just the mail processing.
>
> Or have I got this entirely wrong, and the log you mention is what I need?
>
> mac

Hi mac,

I had a problem with similar symptoms to those you describe and this
was the only way I could get any log output out of thunderbird to
figure out way was going on. As you say it does not appear to log
anywhere else - I couldnt find anything in the usual places either.

My problem turned out to be down to my firewall blocking thunderbird,
so things worked fine when I was inside the firewall and failed in a
similar way to the one you described when I was outside it. From the
log I spotted thunderbird was never getting a response to its login
request, which led me back to check the firewall and fix it.

Cheers,
Andrew