[ubuntu-uk] No IE in Windows 7

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Jun 12 12:20:48 BST 2009

2009/6/12 Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net>:
> "European buyers of Windows 7 will have to download and install a web
> browser for themselves. Bowing to European competition rules,
> Microsoft Windows 7 will ship without Internet Explorer *snip"

> That could be quite a turning point in the browser wars.

As far as I understand it, the vast majority of people obtain windows
as a pre-installation on a new computer. Most don't install it
themselves (although they may re-install it when it goes sour some
time later). From what I've read OEMs will be able to select the
browser on behalf of the user and pre-install it for them

Net result, users get a machine with IE8 pre-installed.

Cheers,
Al.