[ubuntu-uk] Last Barrier!

Gordon gbplinux at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 09:12:24 BST 2009

alan c wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> The last barrier to ditching MS completely is two-fold.
>> One - updating my Garmin Nuvi Satnav (the web updatyer apparently is
>> only for Windows) and secondly back-up and restore of my Nokia mobile
>> via Nokia PC Suite.
>>
>> There seem to be one or two sync apps for Nokia - anything to be
>> recommended?
>
> 1) please consider letting garmin *know* that you have a preference
> for Ubuntu. They have a busy life and will otherwise find it
> convenient to continue ignoring Ubuntu....

Yep - will do!

> 2) If you can find  solutions, then great. However since you have
> already paid for windows, consider keeping it at least temporarily in
> say a dual boot or virtual machine maybe?

Think I'm going to have to. Gammu doesn't support all the functions for
my phone and gnokii doesn't seem to work at all. Just hangs connecting
to the phone. I tried installing Nokia PC Suite in Wine (the Wine
database SAYS that Nokia PC Suite is supported) but all I get is a huge
scrolling page of errors..... :-(