[ubuntu-uk] pre installed ubuntu laptops?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 15:51:14 BST 2009

Gordon wrote:
> Alan Bell wrote:
>
>> http://nakedcomputers.org/category/europe/uk/ is also a good friend, do
>> let me know if you find a supplier I don't already have on the list.
>>

> here's one: (Can't vouch for it...)
> EfficientPC
> http://www.efficientpc.co.uk/

Another option, not sure if you'd thought of is to have a look at
laptops in the right price range and then search online to see if anyone
has had any problems with Ubuntu.  I did that when choosing a laptop.  I
was going to go for an eiSystem laptop from PC World for about £300 but
found it had god awful Linux support so instead I got my little Acer
Aspire 2920 (with 12.1" widescreen screen so bigger than a netbook but
small enough that it is compact and easy to carry around, and it has a
pretty good spec besides).  Only issue is the Windows refund.  I know
Acer do offer a Windows refund but it requires sending the laptop to
their service centre in Plymouth.  Personally I kept Windows (despite
the fact the service centre is about a 40 mile round trip from where I
live so I could have dropped it off).

Rob