[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu and wireless routers

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 00:04:50 BST 2009

norman wrote:
> I fear that my router will soon die and, as it is a number of years
> since I installed my present one, I wondered if any one had any pearly
> words of wisdom they could cast in my direction. I am running Ubuntu
> 9.04 if that makes any difference, thanks.
>
> Norman

You don't mention if you have cable or ADSL so I can't really advise on
specific models, but I have not had any problems with Netgear routers I
have a DG834G v2 which I used for 3 years or so without any problems
which was recently retired and replaced with a BT Home Hub, and I also
have a Netgear cable router (not sure of the model number off the top of
my head) which was provided by Virgin Media for my cable broadband and
this also works fine although I found the firmware to be a little bit
more restrictive on it (I also found this on a newer Netgear ADSL router).

I've also had pretty good results with Buffalo and Linksys but had no
end of problems with a Belkin router when I first invested in a wireless
router.

Rob