[ubuntu-uk] Wireless Networking question: Ps3 or Xbox 360

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 16:04:42 BST 2009

javadayaz wrote:
> i too have an original xbox and would like to connect it that
> way...but she who must be obeyed probably wont allow that because of
> all the wiring...and i really dont wana buy extra hardware.If i could
> wifi enable my xbox somehow that would be brilliant solution too
Well what I do with my XBOX is run the ethernet over a Powerline
ethernet adaptor.  You could in theory do this for the PS3 and XBOX 360
too although if you're playing high definition stuff then you'd probably
need at least an 85MBit/sec adaptor.  AFAIK the PS3 has wifi built in
but I believe the XBOX 360 as standard doesn't have wifi (well depending
on the package you buy, IIRC the Premium systems used to have a wifi
adaptor but the cheaper Core & Arcade systems didn't).

To wifi enable your existing XBOX you would need something like a wifi
access point.  I managed to install OpenWRT on an old Linksys router
(and also on an old Buffalo router for a friend) which were able to be
configured to connect into an existing wireless network.  I then
connected an ethernet cable from this into the XBOX.  I'm pretty sure
you could get one off the shelf from somewhere though that connects to
an existing Wifi network (rather than a device that just add's wifi to
an existing wired network).

Rob