[ubuntu-uk] Broadband and hosting reccomendations

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Thu Jun 4 14:41:44 BST 2009

I also use UKFSN for my broadband ISP, and lately the service has been
rubbish. I am getting much slower speeds, sometimes down to less than 1
Mbit/s. And the technical support is currently non-existent. I think it
is a one-man show, who means well, wanting to support free open source
software, but he obviously does not have the manpower to deal with
queries and EntaNet are badly letting down the customers, for which
UKFSN is a reseller.

I have always heard many bad things about Tiscali, Pipex, and TalkTalk.
Now they are all part of the same ISP, I will avoid them like the
plague. I also hear that Virgin is very bad too, although if you can get
cable and it works, and you do not have to deal with their helplines, it
might be okay, but after many bad experiences with NTL in the past I
will never go with them again, even though they are now rebranded as
Virgin Media.

I had a look at the http://adsl24.co.uk website, and according to that,
I can get up to 24 Mbit/s where I live. Although their site suggests I
would only get 3.2 Mbit/s, which is rather poor, considering I am only 2
km from the exchange. Maybe the routing of the BT cables is so not
straight that it is a lot more than 2 km along the wires? I measured the
distance on Google Earth, it was less than 2 km in a straight line, so
about 2 km along the main roads. Elsewhere I read that at 2 km I should
get 15 Mbit/s.

I was considering BE but I do not like 12-month contracts, and their
site does not give any details that I could find about cancelling. But
they do allow for unlimited bandwidth, which is helpful when downloading
updates to Ubuntu or various distro ISO files to try out, as well as the
various free movies on http://www.archive.org/details/movies or free
music from http://freealbums.blogsome.com/

ADSL24 have more limited bandwidth, the same as UKFSN currently offers
(£18.90 for 30 GB peak, unlimited at weekends and 00:00-08:00).

As for hosting, I use 1&1 Internet Ltd.
<http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=3899401>

They have been very good for hosting overall, and I can have as many
domain names there as I like (all paid for of course), so it's good for
hosting multiple sites in one hosting space. I once had a problem with
using FTP, they password they supplied contained a / character, and the
FTP worked fine in Windows, but when I switched to using Linux it would
not work, until I changed the password to something without any unusual
characters in.

David King