[ubuntu-uk] Lost network access in Ubuntu 8.04

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Tue Jun 2 22:11:58 BST 2009

I think I have realised what has happened in regards to the software and
settings being out of date.

A few months ago I cloned the root partition, as a backup. Somehow, I
have been running Ubuntu from the backup instead of the original, so the
backup got updated. So when I installed Ubuntu 9.04, I chose the
partition of the backup, thinking I do not need it any more, not
realising that I was formatting and thus erasing my good installation of
8.04 and replacing it with 9.04, and when I booted into the old copy of
8.04 thinking it was the latest copy of my OS, I found instead an
outdated version.

I feel so stupid now....

David King