[ubuntu-uk] BBC Radio4 'open source' computer software

Harry Rickards hrickards at l33tmyst.com
Tue Jun 2 16:27:24 BST 2009

On 06/02/09 13:15, Robert Flatters wrote:
> I listen to the radio 4 broadcast and i got the feeling they were stuck
> as to what to put into the report. i mean one minute it was talking
> about the development of the software then the next it was on about
> ants......i lost it at that point.  What they should have done is stick
> to the subject  rather go on about animal collective working together.
>
> Apart from that it was ok....:D
>
> Regards
>
> Bob
>
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Sean Miller <sean at seanmiller.net
> <mailto:sean at seanmiller.net>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM, Alan Bell
>     <alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
>     <mailto:alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com>> wrote:
>     > Describing Linux as the first major piece of Open Source software is
>     > revisionist and a factual error. It really wouldn't have hurt to talk
>     > about Stallman, the FSF, the four freedoms and the GPL. In fact it
>     would
>     > make a much better story.
>
>     Not very keen on the implication in the piece that you quoted that
>     Linus effectively worked alone in his bedroom and one day this "new"
>     Operating System just appeared by magic.  To accurately present the
>     origin of Linux one has to go right back to the folks at Berkeley in
>     the late 60s and early 70s.
>
>     Sean
>
>     --
>     ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com <mailto:ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>

> Robert Flatters, AMBSC

Exactly. While an professor of ants may be the best person on the
subject of ant hills, I'm sure someone who at least knows what FLOSS
stands for would be better able to speak on the subject of the hierarchy
(or lack of) in open source projects. Even someone at Microsoft (shock)
*could* have done a better job.

- --
Many thanks
Harry Rickards (GPG Key ID:646ED06A)