[ubuntu-uk] BBC Radio4 'open source' computer software

mac ammonius.grammaticus at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jun 2 05:56:46 BST 2009

Dave Walker wrote:
> And for those that missed it, myself included:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kp806/Inside_the_Virtual_Anthill_Open_Source_Means_Business/

Just listened to it.  An implicit lesson in the difference between 'Open
Source' (=pragmatic - better ways to make money and advance corporate
interests) and Free Software (=principled - about ensuring individual
freedom and enabling sharing communities).

I found it telling that the BBC programme did not once mention either
Stallman, GNU, or the Free Software Foundation, despite lengthy
discussion of Linux and Torvalds.

A shame that it omitted half of the story.  But then, I suppose, if you
construe democracy as a better way to do shopping, as the programme
seemed to want to do, it's hardly surprising you find Stallman inconvenient.

mac