[ubuntu-uk] Help needed with ssh

Paul Roach roachy at roachy.net
Fri Jul 24 16:39:33 BST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM, John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:

> I am now finding it frustrating because I cant copy and paste from my
> desktop to the file plus saving what I have done, cant work that one out
> yet, its probably very simple, but I am trying. But at least I have got
> that far.
>
> John - you might want to look at a solution such as Filezilla to copy files
to and from the remote server in a graphical fashion, although this can also
be achieved using Nautilus.

The command line method of doing this would be using scp (e.g. scp
<filename> user at hostname:/var/www/public_html or whatever your file path is
to the hosting directory).

To copy files before you edit them just
cp filename filename.old

You'll then be able to edit the original file with nano or vi or whatever
you prefer as an editor...

Hope this helps

Paul