[ubuntu-uk] install just the command-line

doug livesey biot023 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 18:08:49 BST 2009

Hi -- I have a laptop that is really struggling to display anything, as
something that handles display in both windows & the Ubuntu loader is very
gone.
(Trying to install Xubuntu, I get as far as clicking "next" on the keyboard
layout chooser, then weird stripes begin to follow the mouse around, and we
hang. Not especially healthy.)
Not really liking to let things die gracefully & be at peace, I wondered if
I could perhaps install just the basic, command-line parts of Ubuntu (linux
with all the package managers, I guess) & see if I can get it running as a
little server for cron jobs or something that I can just ssh on to.
What would I be looking for to do this?
Cheers,
   Doug.