[ubuntu-uk] Remote start torrents

Stephen Garton sheepeatingtaz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 07:05:20 BST 2009

2009/7/21 Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk>:
> javadayaz wrote:
>> its a cable connection. with virgin.
>>
>> its a linkys router. not sure of what model. i will check and revert back.
> Ahh in that case I assume the modem is the standard cable modem that
> Virgin supply?
>
> In that case you'll just need to setup forwarding on the router and
> setup some sort of Dynamic DNS account.  As I mentioned, DynDNS.org is a
> good one and it's free.  What you need to do is setup an account and
> choose what you want your subdomain and domain to be.  The subdomain bit
> can be a word for instance which you will remember for instance javad
> and the domain bit can be any of the pre-defined domains (homelinux.org,
> isageek.org, homeunix.org, dyndns.org etc).  So for instance if you
> chose javad to be the subdomain name and isageek.org then your DynDNS
> domain would be javad.isageek.org
>
> Once you have chosen it you should then be able to configure your router
> to tell DynDNS what the IP address is which Virgin will assign you (this
> can change from time to time, not too sure how often it changes).
>
> When it's configured you can than open the web browser on your phone and
> browse to the DynDNS you chose and the port number for Tranmission such
> as http://javad.isageek.org:9091 and you should get the transmission web
> interface (assuming Transmission is running).
>
> Rob

Just to weigh in to the thread (sorry I'm late!)... I've tried both
the transdroid and torrentfu applications on my android handset, and
found neither to be as useful or as reliable as the web interface in
torrentflux. Using the steps above, you can set up dyndns to always
make your PC available, and bookmark torrentflux for easy access.

This has served me well in the 2 months I've been on android, and for
the previous year when I had an iPhone.

Just my 2p

Steve Garton
http://www.sheepeatingtaz.co.uk