[ubuntu-uk] TomTom One

Lucy lucybridges at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 21:02:35 BST 2009

My Dad has a computer running Xubuntu, shortly to be replaced by a
slightly newer machine running Ubuntu 9.04. About 18 months ago he
bought a TomTom One and would like to be able to update it using the
TomTom Home Client. Now I know this is Windows only (despite being
written using the Mozilla framework!) and has no chance of working
under Wine. I'm guessing that the only option for getting it working
would be VirtualBox?

Finally, can someone with a TomTom say what, if anything, he is
missing out on by not using the TomTom Home client? The documentation
is terrible and I think I read somewhere that there was a time limit
on the supposed 'freebies'? I'd ask TomTom directly but I'd need to
sign up to their site first, which I'm loathed to do..