[ubuntu-uk] card reader not recognised

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Wed Jul 22 16:12:38 BST 2009

> Looks good:-
>
> Jul 22 14:19:56 digital-darkroom hald: mounted /dev/sdc1 on behalf of uid 1000
>
> That line indicates it's mounting fine.
>
> So perhaps this device doesn't like being on a USB hub, or the hub is
> overloaded?

Firstly, If you look back at my comments you will see that the card
reader was always plugged directly into the computer and not via the
hub. Secondly, did you notice how long it took between being plugged in
and being mounted? To have to wait several minutes is not acceptable.
All that moving the mouse and keyboard from the usb connection seems to
have done is to keep them working when the card reader mounts whereas
before, one or other or even both stopped working.

As far as the card reader is concerned, nothing has changed. I still
have a device that does not work satisfactorily on one machine but
perfectly well on another. To reiterate, the machine on which it does
not work as it should is a completely up to date, relatively new install
of Ubuntu 9.04 whereas the machine where performance is as it should be,
is a completely up to date, upgraded over many versions, Ubuntu 9.04.

It does seem that usb may be part of the problem or is it hal but to
quote, where is the evidence?

Norman