[ubuntu-uk] Where Ubuntu falls short

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Jul 18 12:09:17 BST 2009

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:02 PM, LeeGroups<mailgroups at varga.co.uk> wrote:
> Yes, I can remember playing chess (against the computer!) on a 1K  ZX81...
> ...well I say 1K, think the video used some memory, so the program was
> less then 700 bytes and it still played a good game of chess...

They managed to create a half-decent platform game for it.  Came out
when the '81 was in its dotage, but it was pretty impressive
considering how little memory they had to play with.

Do you remember when one company released a game for the Spectrum with
a dongle that added additional memory?  It was an adventure game of
sorts... the name will come to be at some stage, I'm sure... but it's
missing at the moment - have a vision of the box in my head, but no
more... something of something or other I think... :-)

Those were heady days.  Remember the TV documentary on Imagine, the
software company, that started out as "how a modern software
development company works" and ended up documenting their demise.
Imagine had a similar plan to do a piece of software with a dongle
("Bandersnatch", I think it was called) but after they folded it never
saw the light of day.

How easy it must be these days for programmers, with so much memory
available.  Don't even have to consider that aspect.   Just make it as
big as you like and then tell the users they have to upgrade to play
it.

Never used to happen on a 32k BBC Micro or a 48k Spectrum.  The
programmers MADE it possible.

Lamentations..

Sean