[ubuntu-uk] Linux in an Audio Environment

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jul 17 15:50:08 BST 2009

Chris Weaver wrote:
> Prompted by a comment by Rob Beard, I'd be interested to see if anyone
> is running Ubuntu in a audio environment (work, hobbyist or whatever)
> and more specific peoples experiences with it.
>
> - Chris

Nearest I got was running the open source Rivendell radio playout system
on Ubuntu (7.10 I think) although I have been given the task of setting
up a laptop for one of my clients so they can take it out on the road
and record news stories to send back to the station.  This machine will
be running Ubuntu 9.04 with a 3G dongle and probably something like
Audacity for basic editing.  The audio will then be converted into Flac
(or maybe high quality OGG to save space) and then sent to the station
via SFTP where it will be converted back into linear WAV audio (although
the news system they use does actually have native support for OGG and
FLAC despite being a proprietary Windows application).

Rob