[ubuntu-uk] Windows 7 same as Ubuntu........

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 07:33:21 BST 2009

On 17/07/09 02:39, Liam Proven wrote:
<snip />

> There is a chance for Linux, but it's a very tough battle ahead.
> Unfortunately, I think the bad experiences of hundreds of thousands of
> people with Linux netbooks will put them off for a long time to come.

I don't think it is as bad as the press would have you believe.

I read something recently where something like 34% of netbooks sold are
being wiped of Windows and having Linux installed.

Most of the returns (in my direct experience with a particular vendor)
was due almost exclusively to mis-selling; The retailer had had no
training and was essentially *not* informing the customer that netbook a
(with Linux) was any different to a regular notebook. This is wrong on 2
fronts:

1. Netbooks are not the same as Notebooks. I think this is more widely
understood now but still likely to catch the naive buyer when they are
in a shop with monkeys behind the counter.

2. Linux is not the same as Windows. This was the biggest problem,
Buyers were not aware that when they got their new computer home it
wasn't going to be a blue theme. There was no even basic explanation of
the differences (or the advantages). In fact, from our research, the
[ahem] sales staff would rather not even tell the prospective customer
that it was *not* Windows.

Asus stated last year that their return rates were about the same
between Windows and Linux netbook sales.

Now, we have the situation that MS have bribed/bought-off many of the
major netbook manufacturers and, if you load them with crapware, the
cost of the XP license can become negative to the oem.

There are makers who are still doing Linux netbooks and new ones appear
all the time. Google's Chrome OS will help immensely in this, with their
branding and muscle.

It isn't a lost battle by any means and the growth of Linux will not
stop. It is increasing.

Al