[ubuntu-uk] evolution and gnome

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:20:23 BST 2009

On 15/07/09 20:01, Jamie Bennett wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2009, at 18:13, Alan Pope wrote:
>>> Oh well, i guess i will have to keep evolution installed.
>>>

>> Or remove it and ubuntu-desktop and then reinstall them before you
>> upgrade.
>
> Surely there is a bug to file here (or one that is already filed?)?
> Removing Evolution shouldn't remove ubuntu-desktop.

I do not think this is a bug.

Evolution is more than just your email client.

See the date picket up in the top right of your *Gnome* desktop panel?

That ties to your Evolution calendar, as do other apps which I am not
familiar with.

If you use Synaptic and check what deps are going to be pulled when you
select various Evo packages (and obviously cancelling the ones which
list half of Ubuntu!), you can remove *most* of them without trashing
your setup.

I use Thunderbird and usually remove much of Evo when I build a new distro.

A bug? No.

Annoying? Yes.

Likely to change in the foreseeable future? No.

Al