[ubuntu-uk] Help needed with ssh

Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk Darren.Mansell at opengi.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 10:33:38 BST 2009

> Hi thank you for your message, well that sort of defeats the object
for
> me really as I want to learn the commands. Its kind of frustrating
that
> there isnt something available for beginners to read for ssh. I know
> people have given me some urls but they are quite intense and expect
> people to already have some knowledge of what they are talking about,
so
> its very hard making my way through them.
>
> Plus after finding out last night that I might have a problem with the
> terminal not recocnising folders where they are supposed to be, it
sort
> of was why I wanted help pc to pc, to make sure.
>
> Nothing is ever easy is it.
>
> John.
>
> --

I think what you're really trying to find out is how to use the shell.
SSH and the shell are 2 different things, SSH is the method of
connecting into a shell over a network. To actually do stuff once you're
connected you use standard Linux/Unix commands such as ls, rm, mv, cp
etc. This is pretty good http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basic.shtml

For using SSH, it's a different set of commands. As I said SSH is just a
method of connecting. There are other things that have been added
alongside SSH such as SCP and SFTP, which are just ways of copying files
over SSH. Just google SSH tutorial for that.

Darren