[ubuntu-uk] Help needed with ssh

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:36:41 BST 2009

On 15/07/09 09:05, danattwood wrote:
<snip />
> You could try using a program like filezilla which works just like a
> standard ftp program but will let you use sftp so it's nice and secure.
> This will let you naviagte the 'tree', move files around and set
> permissions etc. When set up correctly the places menu can work in
> exactly the same way.

Huh?

Why do you want to use Filezilla?

Under the Places menu is an option that says "Connect to server..."

Select that, choose "ssh" in the service type drop-down, then fill in
the following fields:

Server: Enter the IP address or domain name of the machine you want to
connect to.

It will prompt you for a username and password.

Once connected your file browser (nautilus) will open.

I would recommend you select "Tree view" in the side pane of Nautilus.
If the side panel is not visible try F9 or look under the view menu for
the Side Pane option :-)

You can now navigate around the filesystem on the remote host just as
you would with a local filesystem.

In the tree view you can open local folders and drag and drop files and
directories between the local machine and the remote host.

It really isn't that hard. It is very similar to another proprietary
software maker's file manager. IIRC it was called Windows Explorer.

Right clicking on a file and selecting properties will bring up a useful
dialogue box. The Permissions tab is probably the most useful.

However much of this can be accomplished from the command line, and when
you need to do multiple operations it is usually faster. Some useful
commands once logged into a machine are:

ls	list directory contents
ls -la	list everything in the dir and show lots more information

chmod	Change the permisssions of a file (man chmod for more info)
chown	Change the owner of the file

pwd	Present Working Directory (Where am I now?)

cp	Copy (copy a file/files/directories)
mv	Move (also used for renaming a file/directory)

du	Show how much space is being used in a particular directory.
df	Show what partitions are mounted and where to.

less	Print the contents of a file to the screen page-by-page

mkdir	Make a directory
rmdir	Remove a directory

touch	Create an empty (zero byte) file

man ls	Open the manual page for the "ls" command. man "command" will
bring up a man page for the command, e.g.

man chmod
man pwd
man cp

etc etc.

HTH

Alan

> Or how about finding out about you local lug and popping in to one of
> their meets. I'm sure someone there will give you quick lesson on using
> the places menu and ssh

Good advice.