[ubuntu-uk] Netgear WG511v2 Wireless PCMCIA card

Jon Reynolds maillist at jcrdevelopments.com
Tue Jul 14 10:38:45 BST 2009

Hi all,

Ok I have just converted an old Dell laptop to Ubuntu. It does not have
wireless built in but it has a Netgear WG511v2 PCMCIA card with it,
which I am having difficulties using.

I have got as far as:
- Using ndiswrapper to install driver from CD that came with card
- Using modprobe to enable it.
- Added 'ndiswrapper' to /etc/modules so it starts the card everytime
  now.
- I can detect wireless networks, but if I try and connect it just drops
  out instantly.

I think (from comments) it is to do with wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper
drivers.

I am a little frustrated as it seems only too close to get a new card
(i.e. I can see the networks...)

Any suggestions on how to try and get this working will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Jon Reynolds