[ubuntu-uk] Help needed with ssh

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Mon Jul 13 19:57:12 BST 2009

Hi John,
ssh is a secure way of communicating with a remote server. At the most
basic level it is like having a terminal session on the remote computer,
you can use commands such as "cd" to change directory, "ls" to view the
contents of your current directory (same as "dir" in dos) "pwd" to print
your current working directory location. "nano index.html" to edit the
file called index.html in the current directory.
You can also pass other things over the secure tunnel. If you use "sftp
john at remote.host.com" instead of "ssh john at remote.host.com" then you get
a secure ftp-like session where you can put and get files to and from
the server. You can also do this graphically in Ubuntu by going to the
places menu then connect to server and select ssh from the dropdown. Put
in your details then you will be able to browse the remote server over
the ssh session and do pretty much anything on it as if it were local.

Alan.