[ubuntu-uk] Help needed with ssh

Paul Roach roachy at roachy.net
Mon Jul 13 18:29:33 BST 2009

When you say running a website? Doi you mean going to a website via
the command line, using say, lynx, or are you looking to set up a
site.

To ssh, just

ssh user at ipaddress

Then you will have a console on the remote machine. From there, you
can edit files using nano

nano filename

There are prompts at the bottom of the screen.

When editing a file, it's recommended to copy the file first.

cp file.txt file.txt.backup

Then you can edit the file without worries...

Does this help to get you started..

On 13/07/2009, John Matthews <jakewc2 at sky.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am so sorry to ask this, but I was wondering if somebody would be
> willing to give me some help with ssh and commands for running a website
> via a terminal.
>
> I have been trying to learn from the websites, but I am not finding it
> easy. If somebody could just start by showing me some basic commands, to
> start off with, just so I can start, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thank you
>
> John.
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com