[ubuntu-uk] Nvidia-legacy drivers on Jaunty

Daniel Drummond dmdrummondx at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 04:23:24 BST 2009

Liam Proven wrote:
> I'm just setting up an old PC for a friend of a friend, and naturally,
> I have put Ubuntu on it. It's an Athlon XP 700+ with 768MB of RAM and
> an nVidia Riva TNT2 AGP card.
>
> Interestingly, Hardy failed to boot. It installed cleanly from a live
> CD, but the resultant system never got past GRUB. Jaunty worked fine,
> 1st time.
>
> The Hardware-drivers tool is unable to detect this old graphics card,
> but I googled for more instructions. I checked what version of
> nVidia's drivers support a Riva TNT2 and it's the v71 build.
>
> So, I installed nvidia-glx-71. This went smoothly. On reboot, there is
> no nVidia logo, but the display seems a lot snappier. Scrolling is now
> lightning fast, windows move quickly if a little jerkily, and resizing
> them is smooth.
>
> But as some posts led me to fear, the Display applet now can't change
> screen resolution. Neither will nVidia's X Settings tool, which merely
> says that I'm not using an nVidia driver. No OpenGL screensavers work
> and I can't enable desktop effects.
>
> How can one tell if one is or isn't using the nVidia driver? My
> xorg.conf file is empty. And if, as I suspect, I am, then why won't
> OpenGL work?

Try examining /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  It should contain information about
what driver is running.

Did you see this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=3488
?  It's old but some of the info may still be relevant.  I have a recent
nvidia card, and haven't had a problem.  When the TNT2 was out I had a
Voodoo card, and struggled getting 3D acceleration in Redhat 6.

Hope that helps.

Dan