[ubuntu-uk] Connecting to a NAS drive in Ubuntu

David King linuxman at avoura.com
Sat Jul 11 10:04:35 BST 2009

I am trying to connect to my NAS drive in Ubuntu 9.04.

I used to be able to do it when running Ubuntu 8.04, but now when I
mount the NAS drive, the group is set to 501, and the owner is set to
501 - User #501

and thus I cannot access any files on the NAS drive. I can read the
directory listings, but I have files on there I need to access, but I
cannot access them. I have tried
sudo nautilus
to get root access but permission is denied still for reading any files.

I tried to set up a group called 501 but Ubuntu told me it had to start
with a letter.

I used the following command to mount the NAS

sudo mount -t cifs '//192.168.0.4/DISK 1' /media/nas1

which mounts it okay.

I used to use sudo mount -t smbfs '//192.168.0.4/DISK 1' /media/nas1

which also works to mount, but read that cifs has now replaced smbfs,
but neither option allows me to access any files.

I have samba, smbfs, and gadmin-samba installed.

I also tried switching off the NAS and then on again, and then mounting
it again.

How can I gain read-write access to my files on the NAS?

David King