[ubuntu-uk] Friend managed to start virtual box kernel with grub

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 19:21:39 BST 2009

Kris Douglas wrote:
> Hello everyone, I was just wondering if I could get some information
> on some of the events that have recently transpired. My mate has
> recently tried to install virtual box on his pc, succeeding in this
> task, he booted his pc to see his X server had loaded default drivers,
> and his mouse and network had stopped working, when I checked the
> kernel version it has gone from 2.6.28-13-generic to 2.6.28-13-server.
> How the bloody hell can this happen, the pc was booting a virtual
> kernel, which was then loading up as it would on a normal
> install....I've fixed it by removing this virtual kernel, but can
> anyone shed any light on this?
>
> thanks,

Installing the server kernel can happen if he installs it.  It sounds
like what he has done is install the server kernel on his machine.  I
doubt this has anything to do with VirtualBox, unless he's specfically
installed the Virtual Box modules for the Ubuntu Server Kernel.

He should be able to remove the server kernel in synaptic.  IIRC it is
under somethng like linux-image-server or something along those lines
(I'm not at my machine at the moment to check).

Rob