[ubuntu-uk] Friend managed to start virtual box kernel with grub

Paul Roach roachy at roachy.net
Fri Jul 10 18:44:37 BST 2009

To install and run virtualbox, you need the appropriate kernel modules
in order for it to run correctly, although this should just add
hardware compatibility for his VM's and shouldn't remove any hardware
support.

Was there any unusual content in /var/log/messages? Did he use any
guides when installing VirtualBox?

On 10/07/2009, Kris Douglas <krisdouglas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I was just wondering if I could get some information
> on some of the events that have recently transpired. My mate has
> recently tried to install virtual box on his pc, succeeding in this
> task, he booted his pc to see his X server had loaded default drivers,
> and his mouse and network had stopped working, when I checked the
> kernel version it has gone from 2.6.28-13-generic to 2.6.28-13-server.
> How the bloody hell can this happen, the pc was booting a virtual
> kernel, which was then loading up as it would on a normal
> install....I've fixed it by removing this virtual kernel, but can
> anyone shed any light on this?
>
> thanks,
>

> --
> Kris Douglas