[ubuntu-uk] Printer problems

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:47:30 BST 2009

On 10/07/09 13:16, Wulfy wrote:
<snip />
> Thanks, Alan.
>
> I had seen that page but it's for the i386 version of Ubuntu.  I don't
> really want to downgrade my architecture just to get the printer
> going... :@(
>
> Once again, thanks for responding.

No problem.

I had some issues with a KM printer before. The important bits of the
driver for CUPS, including the gzipped PPD file (this only contains
text, it isn't a binary) I was able to extract from an RPM and then
manually install in the right directory on my system. IIRC I don't think
any of the files were binaries.

The point I'm making is I would check that the packaging of the driver
for i386 is actually the important issue. You possibly just need the
*contents* of the package.

See this post for info:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/273021/comments/11

HTH