[ubuntu-uk] lexmark z2420

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Jul 10 09:20:43 BST 2009

Sean Miller wrote:
> This is a long shot... have Googled but can't find anything of use...
>
> Bought a Lexmark z2420 wi-fi printer a couple of days ago, which works
> great on Windows but I can't find any sign of drivers for Linux.

To be honest I wouldn't touch Lexmark with a 10ft barge pole, the cost
of cartridges is astronomical compared to other manufacturers (such as
Epson and HP).  However, they so offer some sort of Linux sources for
drivers (or at least did), but I don't think it's enough to build a
driver.  Even some of the slightly older Lexmark printers which were
supported on XP don't work on Vista (lack of drivers).

> Now I am assuming that I am unlikely to be able to get the thing to
> work directly from Ubuntu (ie. via wireless at 192.168.1.66) so
> instead decided to set it up using Samba, bouncing the prints from
> Linux to the Vista machine and then through the wireless to the
> printer.  This end-to-end connectivity seems to work okay as the
> printer flashes as if it is going to print but, presumably because I
> have the wrong driver on Ubuntu, doesn't.

With any luck the network interface on the printer should work like a
normal network printer.  Did you try doing a search for it and seeing
what it comes up with?  I've managed to add network printers in Ubuntu
by just searching for them (granted they were wired ethernet).  I'd have
thought as long as the printer is on the network (i.e. the wireless has
connected and you can ping it) then you should be able to talk directly
to the printer.
> Has anybody any knowledge of this printer?  In terms of drivers is it,
> perhaps, compatible with one of the Lexmark drivers that come with
> Ubuntu (and if so what one?) or are there any generic drivers that are
> worth trying?

Well doing a google search came up with this...

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-Z2420

According to this page it's a paperweight.  From experience, older
Lexmark printers (I'm talking about 15 years ago) could emulate the HP
Deskjet 500.  It's a long shot but maybe you could either try another
Lexmark driver (it's possible that Lexmark printers talk the same
language) or maybe an older HP driver.
> Also, I assume I am correct in that I will need to use the Vista
> machine as a "middleman"?

I wouldn't have thought so.  Saying that, try a few different drivers.
If you do manage to get it to print something then try connecting to it
directly although if you can't get it working on Linux you may want to
seriously think about if you want to hang on to it to just to use on
your Vista PC or if you'd be better off taking it back and getting
something else better supported instead (it pays to check out the
OpenPrinting site when you have an idea of what you like the look of
before making a purchase).

Rob