[ubuntu-uk] Suggest a graphics card

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 10:36:44 BST 2009

javadayaz wrote:
> I am thinking of installing a graphics into my machine finally.
>
> Can you please suggest a cheap graphics card?
>
> It must:
>
> PLAY NICE WITH UBUNTU. (easy to set up. no problem with compiz)
> display HD for a screen size of at least 37".
> Not require extra cooling.
>
> Looking forward to your comments!
>
> --
> Javad

Well there is this one at about £45...
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/vga-cards/msi-nx9400gt-md512h

It's got an NVidia 9400 Chipset so although it's not the fastest card
out there it should be fine for Compiz, basic 3D gaming and HD media
playback (IIRC you need to enable VDPAU with something like Mplayer or
MythTV to get HD acceleration).

You don't say what resolution the TV is, it could be anything really (a
bigger size doesn't necessarily mean a higher resolution) but I would
assume that this card would happily play HD video at 720p (1280x720) or
1080p (1920x1080) resolutions.

It would require the proprietary NVidia drivers installing but this
should be a simple couple of clicks to enable the restricted NVidia driver.

It also has a big heat sink rather than a cooling fan so it will be
completely silent.

Rob