[ubuntu-uk] Blocking in Pidgin

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 20:23:51 BST 2009

I get loads of MSN spim these days. At least 3-4/hr, sometimes dozens
an hour, all the time I'm online.

I meticulously block each one, but sometimes, the same ones keep
spimming me again and again. Blocking seems to do nothing.

I've even manually upgraded to Pidgin 2.5.8 from getdeb.net in an
effort to overcome this. Made no differences.

At least it does seem to have resolved  the "friendly name changes too
rapidly" errors and the failure of my status to go to 100% connected -
since I added Facebook, it tended to stay on "connecting..."
indefinitely.

Is there any way of blocking MSN spammers? It's almost entirely on
MSN, /very/ occasionally on Skype. AFAICS there's no "only allow IMs
from people in my buddy list" option in Pidgin's MSN support, which I
am coming to really miss...

Ideas? Hints? Suggestions?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508