[ubuntu-uk] Webcam as a security camera

javadayaz javadayaz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 10:52:02 BST 2009

Ok i know its a bit of general question, but does anyone know of cheap
webcams that just work in ubuntu. they have to be easy to set up.

Ps i have found some apps in android that let you put a URL in let you view
from there on phones home screen. So how would this work, would i have to
set up some sort of streaming website for this?

2009/7/1 Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk>

>  Quoting javadayaz <javadayaz at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > As some of you may know i have an android phone G1 phone. I would like to
> > avail the phones unlimited data plan. Some of you may also know about my
> > exploits are linking my media to a TV in my new house.
> >
> > I was just wondering if anyone here uses a webcam as security camera.
> > Preferably in Ubuntu. I would like the ability to "dial in" and look in
> as
> > well.
> >
> > Has anyone had any experience in this?
>

> http://www.zoneminder.com/
>

> IT works with USB and CCTV cameras including the ability to use Pan,
> Tilt and Zoom from the web interface.  IT allows you to setup Zones
> that trigger recording and even set time-restrictions on when it
> should record.
>
> It rocks.  I've used it commercially and the customer was delighted!
>
> I've also used it in my house and it worked fine using a Thinkpad 570
> laptop as the "server".
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matt
> --