[ubuntu-uk] Using an Nvidia MX440

Steve Baugh stephen.baugh1 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 30 18:20:07 GMT 2009

I have two Ubuntu systems, this one using an Nvidia 8400 quite
successfully and anther one which is only used for my Amateur Radio
activities.

The second PC has an Nvidia MX440 in an AGP slot. The 2D nv driver works
OK but I would like to be able to run programs using OpenGL. To this end
I downloaded the version 96 driver from the repository and activated it.
I then found that the programs I run under Wine had their menu text
scrambled and when I enabled desktop effects pop-up windows and
Screenlets were blank. I have now deactivated it.

Has anybody managed to get 3D working with this card?

Steve, Bracknell