[ubuntu-uk] Manlug

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Sun Jan 25 19:32:30 GMT 2009

Simon Wears wrote:
> Firstly - my apologies! I think I sent out a blank email to the list
> by accident.
>
> Second - I'm living in Manchester, and was thinking of going along to
> one of the MANlug meetings. Does anyone on this list go, or know how
> active they are?

Hiya,

I'm based near Manchester and though I've never been to a ManLUG
meeting, I know a load of people who do and hangout on #manlug on
irc.oftc.net (I'm "tdobson" - feel free to say hi)

There is actually quite a broad spectrum of tech groups in the northwest.

In Manchester;
There is ManLUG[1] - a traditional LUG focused (as far as I know) around
technological things one can achieve with Linux and software for Linux,
sometimes has presentations

There is Manchester Free Software Group[2] - a group to compliment
Manchester's other tech groups which focuses more on the ideological
side of things but frequently has talks concentrating on things that can
be achieved with free software (or the ideology) for anyone who is
interested. These sometimes focus on aspects of GNU/Linux but cover a
wide range of areas - the next talk is on Drupal for instance.
(Probably not the best people to ask how to get Adobe Flash 10 running.)

[3] Manchester BSD User Group - a friendly group of '*BSD Users' who
meet up regularly but in my experience are prone to use Darwin (OS X)
and talk about everything except BSD, but if you wanted to know anything
about BSD, they'd be the bunch.

There are plenty more tech orientated groups in Manchester, focusing on
various different things, Geekup[4], DFEY-NW[5] and Manchester Geek Girl
Dinners[6] being just a few.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Disclaimer: I am involved in the organisation and running of Manchester
Free Software Group.

[1] http://www.manlug.org
[2] http://manchester.fsuk.org
[3] http://www.bsdgroups.org.uk/manchester/