[ubuntu-uk] Installing GUI on Ubuntu Server

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 20:57:56 GMT 2009

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of building up an old PC to use as a basic Ubuntu box
at a remote site (to replace a bodge up job of a VMWare virtual
machine).  Now I was wondering, is it possible to install the Gnome or
even XFCE on top of the server installation, and if so what packages do
I need?

I'm not looking for the entire desktop (OpenOffice etc), I just want at
most a Terminal, Firefox browser and Remote Desktop viewer.  I was
hoping to use FreeNX to connect to the machine too.  Anyone know the
best way of doing this?

Ta,

Rob