[ubuntu-uk] Introduction, and research

Karl Beecher k.s.beecher at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:31:38 GMT 2009

Hi,

My name is Karl Beecher, I've been a Linux user for about 5 years now
and a dedicated Ubuntu user for 3 of those.

My personal passion right now is OSS research, and at the moment I'm
finishing up my thesis on that topic at the University of Lincoln. I've
done research into GNOME, KDE, and Debian, amongst other things, and
I've worked with people (and continue to do so) involved in the KDE
Research group (http://techbase.kde.org/Research ).

Having seen other OSS projects involve themselves in research like this,
I was intrigued that I was unable to find equivalent material on the
Ubuntu site.

And so, I would like to know if there are in fact any such research
activities going on in Ubuntu, or, if not, whether this would be of any
interest to others in the Ubuntu community. I realise this is not the
perfect mailing list to address this question to, but I was unable to
find a suitable one (apart from maybe ubuntu-qa), so I thought I'd start
out by asking my fellow Brits. For a good example of what OSS community
research might entail, check out the KDE link above. There are also
other organizations and individuals too numerous to list.

Again, apologies if this seems "off-topic", but if you know of a more
suitable place to investigate or person to ask, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Karl Beecher