[ubuntu-uk] Mobile Broadband

Philip Newborough corenominal at corenominal.org
Tue Jan 20 03:47:08 GMT 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:48:43 +0000
"Sean Miller" <sean at seanmiller.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Colin McCarthy
> <binarysignal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As  'Three' customer my dongle is only £5 a month for 1GB. More than
> > enough mobile bandwidth.
>
> If I'm programming websites on ssh I would imagine that isn't a lot of
> bandwidth.
>
> Just need to avoid downloading all that por... erm... ;-)
>
> Seriously, I've looked at my router stats and I seem to have
> downloaded about 2GB in the last week so a bit worried about these
> limits, but I think my neighbour's daughter is connecting to my router
> (caitlin-pc on the router stats is a bit suspicious as I have nobody
> of that name in my house) so I suspect 3GB is probably fine... 3's 5GB
> might be better, but I have had bad experience with coverage with "3"
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Sean

Interestingly, I am on the Three network and I get a really poor 3G
reception on my Nokia 95, but my Huawei E620 gets a good connection. It
also worked out of the box on my Ubuntu system:
http://crunchbang.org/archives/2009/01/17/huawei-e620-usb-modem-and-vnstat/

Good luck if you do decide to make a purchase.

Cheers,
Philip