[ubuntu-uk] Remote support was Sad but true? From the Register

Matthew Daubney matt at daubers.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 11:00:26 GMT 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 10:49 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:
<snip my stuff>

<snip education stuff>

> Perhaps when helping people we need to issue them with a basic checklist
> of common faults, a bit like the steps you go through when you call tech
> support. It also helps the person helping the end user if the end user
> knows which gui they are using or even which operating system and version,
>

> Paul

Maybe before the system offers to connect them with a support person it
should go through a bog standard checklist of things to try, much like
the troubleshooters you get in a lot of software. At the least this
information could be passed onto one of the volunteers to give them a
better idea of the fault and what's already been tried, and at best it
would mitigate the need for using one of the volunteers to fix the
problem.

-Matt Daubney