[ubuntu-uk] Some good publicity about Ubuntu

Paul Sutton zleap at zleap.net
Fri Jan 16 12:52:37 GMT 2009

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Having read through the follow up article on that woman who had Dell
> laptop running Ubuntu, I found this in the comments...
>
> http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?S=9675283
>
> It's a nice story about Ubuntu.  It appears that a soilder in Fort Sill,
> Oklahoma has been refurbishing old PCs and passing them on to school
> students.  It's nice to see some nice coverage other than the on going
> flame war on the WKOW web site.
>
> Does anyone do anything similar here in the UK?
>
> The nearest I have got to this is the Exwick Community Centre project
> although I'd love to do something like Freegeek (www.freegeek.org) but I
> wouldn't know where to start looking to get funding for such a project.
>
> Rob

Not sure, can you contact freegeek and ask how they got funding,  what
sort of facilities they use etc,

Once we know that,  and have a venue more suitable for more formal
meetings,  we can perhaps put our proposals forward to the business
community and seek sponsors / help that way,   after all if they can get
on board and get good publicity from it, it helps them esp if it's also
at minimal cost to them.

We also need to convince people like the council that donating stuff to
us for refurbishing does not violate the WEEE regulations,  as in they
are happy for us to take old kit,  do what needs doing to it,  then give
it away or sell cheap, but also if it then fails the onus seems to be on
us, to dispose of it,

It looks like this sort of thing just starts in a garage or bedroom
somewhere,  but it needs time and commitment from people i guess.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net